Sunday, November 3, 2013

To Drive or Not to Drive?

It's been a busy last few weeks...I think I say that every time I write.  But all of a sudden I find myself writing November on the calendar and wonder where the time has gone. I think it has been a little bit easier to lose track of time here because of the lack of seasonal change.  It's still in the 80's, I'm still wearing shorts, and I still have my air conditioning on. Thus, to me it still feels like early September, not November.

So after getting back from Beijing, we hit the ground running to catch up on what we had missed. The kids had some make-up work and we all had some work in getting back in the groove.  I'd say it took about a week.  A week after we got back, a friend of mine invited a group of us to go down to Stanley for the day to do some shopping and have some lunch.  Everyone talks about Stanley, but I had never gone before and was excited to go...especially if she was driving.  It's also not the easiest place to get to by public transportation, which has been a deterrent for going in the past.  This was a great opportunity! So the four of us left around 10am from the kids school and got down there in about 30 minutes.  This was definitely faster than I anticipated.  Hong Kong is not that big, but Stanley is on the south side of the island.  When you factor in traffic and windy roads, locations that generally "appear" closer, can take a long time to get to.

We had a GORGEOUS day! It was a beautiful, sunny day, upper 70's, and the skies were so blue.  It was amazing to sit at lunch with my new friends, remembering what I was doing just a year ago, and thinking how far I have come.  Last year, I wasn't able to be out for the day, certainly not by myself without baby in tow. I even remembered thinking how I was looking forward to a time when I could be out with friends and not worry about my three hour nursing window.  It was refreshing to finally be in that place.  It was freeing..

Being in Stanley also brought up another question that my husband and I continue to get often. "When are you going to get a car?" People cannot believe that we don't have a car when they hear where we live...which is a bit out of the way and a little bit of a distance from the kid's school, and far from our church. And of course, when they hear our family size, that's when the jaw drops. Last year I couldn't even fathom getting a car.  I was on information overload and the thought of learning something else new...like driving on the left, wheel on the right, was overwhelming for me.  It was also amazing to me that I could get anywhere I needed to be by trains, taxis and buses.  Navigating the public transportation was empowering to me and helped build my confidence and get more comfortable in my new surroundings.  BUT, that doesn't mean it isn't exhausting or easy, or even useful when we want to go to some more remote locations.  So, a year removed and we are back to that question..."To drive, or not to drive?"

There are so many factors on both sides of the argument that make this a challenging decision.  We have made it a year without one, the cost (of gas, insurance, tolls, maintenance), lack of parking, not to mention a little bit of fear (see previous post about my car accident in taxi). These are valid...but now the other side of the coin.  Easier to get to places like Stanley and Sai Kung, less exhaustion (quality of life) and more options...all ring true to me as well.  So...we will keep discussing, revisiting, and I will keep you posted.  For now, we will continue our adventures on the trains, buses and taxis. They do make for great stories.



Beautiful Stanley
 
 
 
 
 
 


Finally, the kids were able to go trick or treating again this year.  We may live in one of the few areas in all of Hong Kong where this takes place.  The kids had a great time going around the neighborhood with Andy and some friends.  This was the first year Grace did not go...which was timely since I needed to be at a parent's meeting for her upcoming trip. But our Indian princess, cowboy, fairy and cow all had a good time.
Abby, Sarah, Emma and Josh
 
Our cute little cow making her new "fishy face"
 
Getting ready to go!
 

2 comments:

  1. awww they look so cute all dressed up!!! You know about the car thing.. you could take a taxi to some far away location every weekend, or even every Sunday to Church and it would still be cheaper than a car.. although... can you all fit in one taxi? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grass is always greener but once you get to 'that green grass' you realize you have to fertilize, mow, and edge. It's always a compromise isn't it? You're doing great with public transit but whatever you decide, it will be just as great.

    ReplyDelete