Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Washing the Car and T8 Day

When I first met Andy, he would spend an average of three hours washing his car...that may be an underestimate.  It was a running joke with most of our friends.  And while since having kids has changed his priorities, and he doesn't get to do it as often, time has not withered his enjoyment of washing his car.  So, the first possible weekend since being back in HK with a car, Andy took all the kids and Marina to give the car its first washing since owning it.  I'm not sure HK has seen an event like this...since we had several passersby with their cameras out...but they all had a good time.  I can't remember what I was doing...something productive, I'm sure...but I figured I have logged in enough car washing hours for a lifetime:)




Abby thought she would try the bucket...since Sarah's diaper didn't fit in it anymore!




Today the kids were home from school for a T8 Day...or Typhoon 8.  I recently read a cartoon that read something like, "We hope that this typhoon misses us,' said no Hong Kong resident ever!" We LOVE typhoon days.  Its the rare time when this very busy city just shuts down...and with good reason...the wind and the rain are CRAZY.  Now, I love them because I don't have to wake my four sleepers up at the crack of dawn and we can stay in our pj's if we like.  Many times, the T8 is lowered early enough in the morning that there is a mad dash commute by all the workers, which causes a lot of congestion.  But, when my children's school is closed for them, it's closed for them all day...woohoo!
I honestly didn't think we would get this day.  I kept an eye on the weather tracker and it looked like we were going to get missed significantly, and the rain had stopped before I went to bed.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful T8 on my phone when I woke up at 5:45am this morning  I shared the news with Marina, and we both went back to bed!

We did have a very fun day today...Grace, who went to the store in the rain, and Marina surprised us with a special treat, cinnamon rolls in a cup.  We played a big game of Rummikub, watched a movie in the afternoon, Emma, Abby and Josh performed a show for us, and everyone was in bed by 8pm...yeah!!  Thus, I get to catch up on my blogging:)




1 comment:

  1. How fun! It's sweet how Andy washes his car with the whole family now, as opposed to the times when he washed it by himself. It looks like the kids are pretty much enthused about the idea of having to wash the car too. I guess, it can be another great way to bond everyday as well. In any way, thanks for sharing that, Beth! All the best to your lovely family! :)

    Abraham Yates @ Apache Oil Company

    ReplyDelete