Thursday, September 1, 2016

Landing For our Fifth and Final Year

If you would have told me four years ago that we were embarking on a FIVE year journey, I would have turned around and said, "No way!" But that's how God works.  He only shares with you what He determines you need to know, nothing more.  I think that is part of His compassionate character.  He knew that if I would have known it would have been five years, I would have said "no" and missed out on a crucial part of our family's lives.

As we return to Hong Kong after our last expat summer...exhausted and ready for stability and routine...we come back with mixed emotions. We have grown to love it here in HK.  It has become our home and we all have done significant growing in all aspects of our lives here.  We are changed.  I think we all have come to conclusion that our home in PA has changed, as well.  We have spent enough time during the summer to realize that people move on and change, as well. It is good. None of this is unexpected.  So as we prepare for the time following this year, our biggest challenge is to enjoy this year...take each day and soak it in.  It will be a year of "lasts" for us, and I'm sure I will always wonder, "Is this the last time I will do..., or be here?" But even though there has been some sadness that has seeped into my soul, it has also given me pause to open my eyes to this place...this amazing place that is rarely boring and so different than what I used to know.  It has challenged me in so many different ways and has offered our family a new realm of thinking and feeling and relating.  I am so incredibly grateful for this opportunity, and would encourage and challenge anyone, if given the chance, to live abroad.




Ran into our friend, Caitlin, at Newark Airport!


Landing in HK is always an interesting experience.  The contrast to our homes is just so vast, that I can't help but be blown away by the differences every time we land. This year I came with the kids by myself...which I have only done one other time.  And like I have told others...it's not traveling with five children by myself that is the hard part...its transporting all of the stuff. And this year was no exception...collecting 11 huge bags and boxes(each 69llbs) from check-in, making sure I kept track of five kids and their passports, and that they each had the 10 carry-ons we brought with us.  And this year was a bit more stressful than normal just getting to HK...the "ever so pleasant" attitude of Newark TSA, the rude United Club attendants, and the 2 hours of sitting at the gate after the 3 hour delay that was already planned because of the typhoon. So it was more than relief when we finally got through customs after waiting an hour for all of our check-ins, and saw Andy and Kendy, our taxi driver, waiting for us.







We didn't arrive home until after 2am.  This didn't make as much of a  difference to us...when we get back we are all messed up.  Our children slept great on the plane..Sarah about 3-4 hours,  Josh, Grace and Abby about 5-6 hours...but the winner in this category was clearly Emma...I kid you not...11 hours of sleeping on the plane!!  I even got more than I am used to at about 3 hours.  So when we landed, it could have been the middle of the day.  This is great when we need to be unpacking, but it does not help when trying to get over jet lag.  That being said, we powered through the jet lag and prepared for school.  This process was expedited a bit because we were about to have some long awaited guests....To Be Continued:)

No comments:

Post a Comment