Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

We are so blessed that Sunday's are a little less stressful for us now that we own a car.  In fact, with our flexibility, we were able to get our last long training run in before we left for church and while Marina was still home...8 miles (a lap around the neighborhood and then to Kadoorie Farms and back, for you locals). Then we got to church just on time...a great way to start the day.

Andy decided to surprise me and go to Outback Steakhouse in TST.  I enjoy eating there, and I knew the kids would like it (never been) but I thought driving there from church would be a little adventurous.  One thing I have learned about Andy is that he will drive anywhere...nothing intimidates the man.  When I have had to drive into the city, I am a white-knuckler driver! It is not enjoyable for me.  But Andy goes with the flow...takes it in stride...but that's not to say he doesn't get lost...although I'm sure his record is better than mine.  Well, this past Sunday was a very stressful test for him...and he passed with flying colors:)

Now there are three main tunnels that run under Victoria Harbour between HK Island and Kowloon...Eastern Tunnel, Central Tunnel and Western Tunnel.  We are most familiar with the Eastern Tunnel because that is what we take to church.  We enjoy taking the Western because it is the newest and not as crowded, but it is very expensive. The Central Tunnel we avoid at all costs because there is always a back-up.  So on Sunday, even though the GPS was telling us to take the Central Tunnel, Andy decided to back track a bit and take the Eastern back to the Kowloon side.  Everything was going smoothly, but the GPS was not liking our decision to deviate, so it was not cooperating and we were basically driving blind.  We found ourselves so close to TST and the restaurant we could smell it...until we were stuck in a lane headed back to the Island through the Central Tunnel.  This did not make my husband very happy, and there was no way around it.

We ended up back on the Island, 10 minutes before our reservation.  Instead of driving back through the Central Tunnel, Andy decided we would go back to TST through the Western Tunnel, which of course had no traffic.  We finally made it to our destination...after having gone through three major tunnels (and I won't mention the tolls:) But in the end, we persevered and we didn't get into an accident AND we were only 10 minutes late for our reservation.  In my book, that is a win! And I am still amazed at my husband and his driving tenacity.















No comments:

Post a Comment