Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Hike Up Cloudy Hill





One of my unexpected surprises when we moved to Hong Kong was how much hiking there was where we lived.  In fact, we have a trail that we can access from our neighborhood called Cloudy Hill.  I have hiked up to the top of Cloudy Hill with friends a few times, usually not going all the way due to time or energy limitations...but this past Friday I decided to do something different...I hiked to the top alone.

I have always enjoyed nature and being in God's creation.  And although I would call myself a "beach girl," I grew up going to camp in the woods and love to experience those scents and views that can only be found in the mountains.  I also think I was due some "alone" time after our hectic and crazy holiday schedule.

I woke up early with the rest of the family, got everyone out the door, minus Sarah who was still sleeping, and off I went with my headphones and backpack.  It was definitely a bit cloudy (not a surprise, thus the name) but I did see sun and was hoping that the sun would burn of the clouds and we would continue to have another gorgeous day (now is the time to be in HK!!!)

I have about a 10 minute walk within the Hong Lok Yuen community before I reach the gate...going up hill.  As I walked, I saw several helpers and drivers washing the cars, the woman collecting the trash, and a bunch of students waiting for their bus for school.  As I reached the gate, I had forgotton to get the code from the office, but I decided to chance it since I had gotten that far and did not want to be stopped.  Besides, the door was almost never shut all the way and therefore never locked:)

As I traveled up the stairs to my first view overlooking Tai Po, I saw sunshine and water with islands that I hadn't seen from that view in quite a long time (they don't call it Cloudy Hill for nothing).  The sun was burning the clouds off and the blue skies were beautiful.  I was surprised not to see more people hiking.  As I got up to the first major resting point, there were a handful of people stretching and doing exercises...all very friendly.  I took some more pictures and then kept on my way.

There were so many scents that reminded me of my camping days, and as I continued I couldn't help being reminded of my dear friend, Leslie, who brought me up Cloudy Hill the first time, and a few times after that. The trail was quiet, and I enjoyed listening to my music and enjoying the crisp clean air and the blue skies.  Of course, there were also the stairs that caught me off guard...I didn't remember there being so many at some points.  At times, I tried not to look up and just took one step at a time...kind of a metaphor for this adventure we are on:) After a leisurely trip to the top, I made it and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I sat up there for about an hour...virtually undisturbed...taking pictures, praying and journaling...it was food for my soul.  It reminded me how very important this time is for me and my health, and that I needed to schedule it more often!!!

Finally, I was on my way down...more in a hurry since I was excited to see Sarah, who was sleeping when I left.  I still enjoyed myself, and didn't rush too much since I did not want to lose my footing.  But all those stairs were MUCH easier going down!  I made it down to the bottom to the gate that was supposed to be open.  Of course I had just missed a couple hikers  who went around the corner.  Then, realizing that the door was closed and locked and there wasn't a guard in sight...I hopped the fence, without hurting myself!  It was such a great morning and I hope that I will remember to make time for this more often!!

  









First view of sun over Tai Po
 

Hong Lok Yuen

Top of Cloudy Hill






From the top!





My spot






The locked gate:)



































No comments:

Post a Comment