Monday, January 26, 2015

My New Zealand Adventure...part 1

One thing that many articles I have read about expats say is that the expat is never the same after stepping out of the box and going through the challenges and difficulties, joys and triumphs of living in a foreign country.  You change...and this trip to New Zealand

is proving it to me:)

I am on my way to a land far far away to visit a dear friend...and I'm going by myself.  I have traveled by myself before, but never internationally, to a country I've never been to before.  This is definitely out of my comfort zone.  BUT...I know I am supposed to do this, and the Lord has been preparing me to do this for a long time.  Even before we knew we would be going to Hong Kong, Andy and I can look back and see some of the events and circumstances that led to an international move...and now an international adventure for me.  Albeit, this is a short adventure...only being gone 5 full days, it is taking me two full nights and a day to get there.  Since I don't plan on posting this blog until after I am back, here are my logistics:

Flight to Singapore from HK that leaves at 9:45pm and arrives at 1:30am
Sleep in airport lounge Thursday night
Flight to Auckland from Singapore leaves at 8:50am and arrives at 11:30pm
Sleep in a hotel in Auckland on Friday night
Flight to Rotarua from Auckland leaves at  8:30am and arrives at 9:15

Stay until Tuesday night and take a red-eye back to Hong Kong.

 Of course, it helps to have a husband who has been doing this kind of thing for years and who has been my biggest cheerleader.  This would not be happening if it weren't for him. And I'm thankful that the Lord has been instilling in me this sense of courage and adventure. It certainly didn't happen overnight.  But this trip is showing me that indeed, I am a different person.

So as I write, it is 5:30am in the Singapore airport lounge.  I've been awake since about 3:45am...and yes, I arrived in the lounge a little after 2am...so not a whole lot of sleep.  The funny thing is that while I was all prepared to show my "gold card" to get into the lounge, when I entered, no one was at the desk.  I waited for awhile...then started to walk around and get a feel for the place. It was vacant.  There were a few people (three) like myself who were there to sleep...but that was it.  So I found myself a massage chair and settled in.




Unfortunately for me, the bright lights and excess noise made it difficult to sleep. There was the elevator music, construction banging, and a couple deep sleeping snorers.  That on top of the fact that the massage chair was NOT built for someone who is 5'2'', and I had a challenging time sleeping.   And by 4am the place was in full swing.  I got out of the chair to find a ton of people milling around, getting food, reading, working, ect.  I couldn't believe how early things got going.  This has actually served me because I don't feel tired...I'm wondering how long this adrenaline is going to last me?  I'll let you know:)

1 comment:

  1. I have never travelled alone, so I am in awe of you doing so. New Zealand sounds amazing, and I am sure you will have a fantastic time. I actually think the adrenaline will last you a long time, but give yourself plenty of rest if needed. I look forward to reading your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete